WHEY PROTEINS- Benefits, Types & Muscle Building
We come across the people who uses supplements as part of their diet to improve and enhance the muscle protein synthesis and for the growth of lean muscle mass. But what it is, what are its benefits?
Milk is made up of two protein- Casein and Whey. Whey protein is formed as a bi-product as cheese making and it can be separated from the casein in the milk. Whey protein is low in lactose content and it contain all 9 essential amino acids.
There are many benefits associated with the consumption of Whey protein. Well, let’s have a look at the benefits of using it.
MUSCLE BUILDING: Muscle loves protein, especially complete proteins like Whey. It contains branched chain amino acids which helps in building up of muscles.
- WEIGHT GAIN: People who are seeking for weight gain, it is the best choice to go with Whey protein. When the required amount of protein is not provided to the body by the diet, Whey proteins prove to be the best choice.
DIABETICS: People with type 2 diabetics who are having the complaint of weight loss, can opt for the Whey proteins which are less in carbohydrate content and has no added sugar in it. It helps in balancing the nutrition need and also can be helpful in lowering the blood sugar level.
- LIPID PROFILE: It has been found that overweight individuals when taken Whey protein for 12 weeks, it helps in reducing bad cholesterol (LDL Cholesterol)
- ANTI AGING: When people age they lose the ability to uphold the strong muscles and bones. The healthier and easier way to achieve the increase muscle is by including Whey protein in the balanced diet.
- IMMUNITY: Glutathione a tri peptide found in Whey protein helps in building up the immunity and acts as antioxidant.
BOOST METABOLISM: Inclusion of Whey protein in your diet helps in boosting up of metabolism and helps overcoming the digestive disorders.
- Whey Protein Concentrate (WPC): The amount of protein in WPC can vary between 25%-90% but most common is WPC80 which has 80% protein. It is usually found in supplements which is used for muscle building.
- Whey Protein Isolate (WPI): It is purest form of Whey protein which contain 90% - 95% proteins. It is helpful for the individual with lactose intolerance as it has little or no lactose and is good for weight loss and has minimal amount of carbohydrates.
- Hydrolysed WHEY PROTEIN: It is usually used in the infant formula, sport drinks or medical nutrition products. The long protein chain are broken down into short chains which helps in digestion and absorption.
For the fitness lovers, Whey protein helps in building up strong muscles. Leucine, one for the most essential ammino acid helps in body building and prevent the muscle breakdown. One of the major reasons to consume Whey protein is to enrich the body with Leucine as it is not produced in the body. These are quickly absorbed in the body and helps in muscle repair post during workouts.
During strengthening exercise or workouts, Whey protein helps in pushing you to the higher limits and increases the performances during the workouts which helps in muscle strengthening.
At the bottom lines, it is found that Whey protein is found to be very useful to maintain healthy life and add energy to life.
Author: Dt. Samina Sakin
Dt. Samina Sakin (M.sc IMCR) is a practicing Clinical Dietitian, Public Speaker & Diabetic Educator. She counsels patients on nutrition, healthy eating habits, meal management & overall nutrition plans.